The USGS had been answering questions and providing regular updates on Hawaii's erupting Kilauea volcano on Twitter, when it got this curveball from Jay Furr in Vermont.
He wanted to know if he could roast marshmallows over the volcanic vents!
No! No you can't! And here's why!
SO2 and H2S are toxic gases emitted from volcanic vents, which would make your marshmallow taste pretty awful.
Sulphur dioxide has an odour similar to a just-struck match and hydrogen sulphide is the gas that makes rotten eggs smell bad. So yeah, not a great combination.
For more information, click here.
(Photo: Getty Images)
Erm...we're going to have to say no, that's not safe. (Please don't try!) If the vent is emitting a lot of SO2 or H2S, they would taste BAD. And if you add sulfuric acid (in vog, for example) to sugar, you get a pretty spectacular reaction.— USGS Volcanoes🌋 (@USGSVolcanoes) May 29, 2018
Jack and Carolyn talked about it on the air. Listen here: