At least 38 Disney stores across the U.S. are set to permanently close their doors this week.
Disney says they will focus on their e-commerce business and will close at least 60 stores in North America by the end of 2021.
Disney said it is focusing on providing “a more seamless, personalized and franchise-focused ecommerce experience through its shopDisney platform.” The company said it plans to integrate the platform more into its Disney Parks apps and social media platforms.
“The global pandemic has changed what consumers expect from a retailer,” Stephanie Young, president of consumer products games and publishing, said in a statement. “Over the past few years, we’ve been focused on meeting consumers where they are already spending their time, such as the expansion of Disney store shop-in-shops around the world. We now plan to create a more flexible, interconnected ecommerce experience that gives consumers easy access to unique, high-quality products across all our franchises.”
Here are the California Disney store locations that are closing:
- Arcadia – Westfield Santa Anita, 1400 South Baldwin Ave.
- Mission Viejo – The Shops at Mission Viejo, 555 Shops at Mission Viejo Drive
- Montclair – Montclair Plaza, 5060 East Montclair Plaza Lane
- Montebello – The Shops at Montebello, 2134 Montebello Town Center
- Roseville – Westfield Galleria at Roseville, 1151 Galleria Blvd.
- Salinas – Northridge Mall, 720 Northridge Mall
- San Diego – Fashion Valley Mall, 7007 Friar Road
- San Jose – Oakridge Mall, 925 Blossom Hill Road
- Santa Monica – Santa Monica Place, 395 Santa Monica Place