If you are like so many of us, you've probably been wondering if you were ever going to receive your gas rebate check that was promised many months ago!
Good news! California gas rebate checks, officially known as the state’s Middle Class Tax Refund, are due to start going out as early as next week. The one-time payments, intended to provide relief to millions of Californians, could see some people receive checks for as much as $1,050.
To be eligible to receive the payment, you must meet the following criteria:
- Filed your 2020 tax return by Oct. 15, 2021
- Meet the California adjusted gross income (CA AGI) limits described here
- Were not eligible to be claimed as a dependent in the 2020 tax year
- Were a California resident for six months or more of the 2020 tax year
- Are a California resident on the date the payment is issued
You also must make less than $250,000 if you are single or married and file separately, and less than $500,000 if you file jointly or as a Head of Household. The state has provided a payment estimator you can use to calculate how much you will receive on your refund check.
Everyone who is eligible to receive a payment is expected to have their check by January 2023.
If you filed your taxes electronically and received your refund by direct deposit, you can expect to get your gas rebate check the same way. If you filed using a different method, you will get your payment on a debit card.
Carolyn McArdle talked about it on the air! Listen below...