There are a lot of foods out there that are good for you... but often, doesn't it seem like many of them are a little 'gross?'
No food is inherently "gross," stresses Natalie Gillett, a registered dietitian and owner of Natalie Gillett Nutrition. Instead, such judgments are often shaped by cultural and psychological factors, she said.
Here are 8 foods that might elicit a "yuck" but are a big "yes" for your health.
- Tremella Mushrooms - these nutrient rich fungi are often slammed because of their slimy nature.
- Natto - from Japan, the fermented soybeans, doesn't look or smell good - but has a lot of benefits.
- Cottage Cheese - people don't like it's chunky nature, it's packed full of calcium and lean protein.
- Sardines - they're not great to look at, but full of protein and vitamins.
- Fermented Foods - teaming with probiotics, they're a great way to aid digestion
- Tuna Fish - from Omega 3 to B12, tuna might not smell great, but is great for the body.
- Organ Meats - we're talking livers, hearts and kidneys, rich in minerals and v