Veterinarians are warning dog owners about potential hazard this summer... especially if you take your dog to the beach.
Laura Plyforth wrote on Vets Now that many dogs may get sand in their mouths while playing at the beach, whether its on purpose or accidentally, but if ingested, the sand could block up in the intestines, called sand impaction, leading to severe health problems.
“Believe it or not, some dogs have been known to eat sand when they visit the beach. Most, however, ingest it by accident through digging or repeatedly picking up sandy balls and toys,” she says.
“If a dog swallows enough sand it can cause a blockage in the intestine, which is called sand impaction. Signs of this serious condition, which requires urgent veterinary treatment, include vomiting, dehydration, and abdominal pain.”
Listen to the Morning Breeze anytime here: